We just got back from the Santa Ynez valley where we participated in a fantastic event – the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon. Just like in any race, there was a lot of passing … people passing me by and me even passing a few of them.
Other notable passes were:
- Running from Santa Ynez through the quaint town of Los Olivos and finishing in the darling town of Solvang.
- At mile one we passed a horse running with its pony so close to its side they appeared to be in formation.
- At mile 6, Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” passed through my iPod and gave me the added juice needed to do another 7 miles.
- At mile 11, Team Megan cruised by me. How did I know? Their shirts said so. And Megan was the one in the white sweat band with the make-shift vail. I assume her team were brides maids and friends. Cute idea.
- We passed through rolling hills of grapevines and a few wineries that went a long with them.
- At mile 13.1, we passed through the finish line right on Copenhagen Square in Solvang.
- We then watched my aunt Brandi pass through the finish line like a champ, completing her first half marathon.
Probably the best of all was when Scott and I passed our goals by. Now I guess we have to create more.
Because we have such an affinity for the Santa Ynez valley, this week’s postings will be dedicated to various places in that region.